The South African Centre for Digital Language Resources (SADiLaR), in conjunction with the North-West University (NWU), is offering a position for a computational linguist. This position is crucial for research and development in Digital Humanities (DH) and Human Language Technology (HLT) that form the essence of SADiLaR, which is a national centre supported by the Department of Science and Innovation (DSI). This Centre operates as a new research entity hosted by the North-West University and initiates and co-ordinates dedicated projects executed by the centre itself, as well as by the nodes comprising of the University of Pretoria, the University of South Africa, the CSIR, CTexT, as well as a partnership (ICELDA) of four South African Universities.
* PhD in either Computational Linguistics, Natural Language Processing, General Linguistics, Human Language Technology, Digital Humanities, Computer Science, Information Technology, Communication Technology or Artificial Intelligence with a clear focus on computational aspects of linguistics.
* Five years’ applicable experience in the use of Python (recommended). Other programming languages used within the computational linguistics domain can also be considered.
* Five years’ experience in the use of different operating systems including Linux.
* Experience as a supervisor/co-supervisor of postgraduate students.
* Three years’ experience in the publication of peer reviewed academic articles and research reports.
Level of experience (years):
Mid Career (2+ years of experience)