RTI’s Center for Data Science (CDS) seeks an enthusiastic, inquisitive computational linguist specializing in natural language processing and text analytics to be based in Research Triangle Park, NC. The mission of the Center for Data Science is to advance and support scientific research conducted at RTI in many different domains. Our goal is to solve problems and inform decision-making through innovation, collaboration, and technical expertise. We extract, merge, analyze and visualize historic and real-time data from a heterogeneous sources to make predictions of future events, inform decisions that will lead to optimal outcomes, and classify new observations that can guide actions and target interventions. The Center for Data Science has tripled in size since it was officially organized in the spring of 2014. The successful candidate will work with a growing team of RTI data scientists and domain experts on government, foundation, commercial, and internal analytics projects. We take our mission “to improve the human condition” seriously and seek staff who resonate with it.
Of particular interest are candidates with experience/expertise in health, education and workforce, energy, or food and agriculture. Our computational linguist will collaborate closely with fellow data scientists, subject matter experts, and web developers to ensure functionality is designed properly so that it’s stable, scalable, usable, of high quality, and meets client needs. Finally, the successful candidate will research, experiment, and build prototypes using new technologies applicable to the proposed solutions.
· Collaborate with a team of data scientists, computer scientists, and subject matter experts to solve problems using approaches, techniques, and methods related to natural language processing and text analytics.
· Analyze and interpret unstructured text data to solve and address highly complex research problems and evaluate scenarios to make predictions on future outcomes and to support decision-making
· Lead activities related to data cleaning, text analytics, network analysis, predictive modeling, and interactive reporting
· Develop and implement text mining algorithms
· Expand data science practice within RTI and with external clients: participate in meetings with clients, assist in scoping projects and designing solutions based on client needs and problems to be solved, educate and inspire researchers and upper management throughout RTI
· Communicate results through a variety of methods, such as static and interactive reports, data visualizations, client and conference presentations, and scientific journal submissions
· Collaborate with teams in proposal writing
· Master’s degree in Linguistics, Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math, Engineering, Data Science, Computational Social Science, or related field or experience
· At least 3 years of experience applying NLP/text analytics methodologies, particularly using open source software, ideally in any of the following domains: health, education and workforce, energy, or food and agriculture.
· Experience in designing and developing ETL and analytic pipelines for text data
· Experience with frameworks/ontologies, data structures, and semantic normalization
· Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills – strong oral, written communication, and presentations skills as evidenced by publications or cover letter
· To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and should not require now, or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.
In addition to the qualifications, serious candidates will possess a number of the desired qualifications and attributes:
· Experience collecting, storing, accessing, and analyzing text and other data from a variety of sources (e.g., relational databases, text and unstructured files, sensor data, image and video files).
· Experience with techniques and technologies for accessing and analyzing “big data” (e.g., electronic health records, sensor data, social media data)
· Experience working with machine learning tools
· Experience in cluster and cloud computing environments
· Desire to mentor junior staff
· Proven capability in customer-facing roles—listening to clients, discussing their problems, and developing projects directed at solving those problems and communicating solutions.
Level of experience (years):
Mid Career (2+ years of experience)
About RTI International
Nonprofit research institute