Amsterdam Data Science, an initiative of the University of Amsterdam (UvA), VU University Amsterdam (VU), Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (HvA), and Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI) is looking for 14 researchers at the postdoctoral/PhD level. These positions are funded by the Amsterdam Academic Alliance (AAA), a joint initiative aimed at intensifying collaboration between knowledge institutions in the Amsterdam region.
Amsterdam Data Science provides a network in which some 300 Amsterdam based scientists generate and exchange data science knowledge and forge partnerships within and outside the academic community. This comprises the foundations of data science and data science for the life sciences, social and business analytics, business analytics, and digital humanities.
The list below gives a brief summary of the 14 positions. Please see the job opening sites of the University of Amsterdam at http://www.uva.nl/en/about-the-uva/working-at-the-uva/vacancies and of the VU University Amsterdam at http://vu.nl/en/employment/vacancies/index.asp for details and instructions. The deadline for applications is May 10, 2015.
Foundations of data science
– Citizen data science (focus on social media analysis and analysis of sensory data; supervised by Sabine Niederer, Maarten de Rijke)
– Complex network theory on large knowledge graphs (foundational studies on the nature of data objects, specifically aimed at graph-structured data; supervised by Pieter Adriaans, Frank van Harmelen)
– From data to semantics and back again (methodologies to integrate large volumes of data into a coherent relational schema; supervised by Henri Bal, Peter Boncz, Jacopo Urbani)
– Cheminformatics and bioinformatics (integration and exploitation of chemogenomic and phenotypic data for the prediction of drug efficacy; supervised by Iwan de Esch, Tom Wurdinger)
– Mapping high dimensional data on pathways: large scale machine learning of cancer networks (supervised by Jaap Heringa, Max Welling)
– Network-based data integration (combining data fusion approaches with biological network information; supervised by Age Smilde, Bas Teusink)
– Advertisement & sales optimization algorithms for the 21st century (supervised by Peter Boswijk, Ger Koole, Marc Salomon)
– Analysis of images and text in social media for marketing applications (supervised by Willemijn van Dolen, Marcel Worring)
– Data-driven decision support in complex markets (supervised by Henri Bal, Marleen Huysman)
– Quality, trust and reliability of web data for scholarly research (supervised by Lora Aroyo, Julia Noordegraaf)
– Representation of data perspectives (long-term changes of perspectives and perception in cultural texts; supervised by Rens Bod, Inger Leemans)
– Computational linguistics (modeling and computing subjective relations; supervised by Lora Aroyo, Piek Vossen)
Social and behavioral analytics
– Bias and engagement in political social media (the interface of computer science and communication science, with a focus on social media analysis; supervised by Evangelos Kanoulas, Claes de Vreese)
– Program manager at postdoctoral level (manage the AAA Data Science program, coordinate the educational activities, coordinate the acquisition activities; supervised by Frank van Harmelen, Maarten de Rijke)
Amsterdam Data Science
How to apply:
Please mention NLP People as a source when applying
Please see the job opening sites of the University of Amsterdam at http://www.uva.nl/en/about-the-uva/working-at-the-uva/vacancies and of the VU University Amsterdam at http://vu.nl/en/employment/vacancies/index.asp for details and instructions
In 1971 SARA was founded by the University of Amsterdam, VU University Amsterdam and the Mathematical Centre Amsterdam (now Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica). It was especially dedicated to high performance computing.
Nowadays, SARA is an independent organization which supports scientific research by offering the most advanced services and expertise in the areas of computing, data storage, visualization, networking, cloud and e-Science. In 2010 SARA accommodated its ICT services for the commercial market at daughter company Vancis. SARA now exclusively addresses to the support of scientific research.
As of January 1, 2013 SARA - from then on SURFsara - forms part of the SURF Foundation.
If you are interested in the (Amsterdam based) company (SURF) sara, you are advised to check and/or follow https://www.linkedin.com/company/surfsara (and optionally unfollow SARA).