RTI’s Center for Data Science (CDS) seeks a talented Python Developer to be based in Research Triangle Park, NC*. We’re looking for someone who has both advanced Python and Django development skills, but more importantly, for somebody who is going to be RTI’s expert in Python, will be thrilled to jump into complicated projects, help develop useful libraries and resources (such as ETL and analytic pipelines), and perform other activities such as teaching others here how to work with Python.
The mission of the Center for Data Science is to advance and support scientific research conducted at RTI in many different domains. Our goal is to solve problems and inform decision-making through innovation, collaboration, and technical expertise. We extract, merge, analyze and visualize historic and real-time data from a heterogeneous sources to make predictions of future events, inform decisions that will lead to optimal outcomes, and classify new observations that can guide actions and target interventions. The Center for Data Science has tripled in size since it was officially organized in the spring of 2014. The successful candidate will work with a growing team of RTI data scientists and domain experts on government, foundation, commercial, and internal analytics projects. We take our mission “to improve the human condition” seriously and seek staff who resonate with it.
Our staff have opportunities to lead original research, create data science tools and data products, present at conferences, publish technical papers, and impact the world!
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of relevant programming languages, web protocols, design patterns, storage, and network experience. Exceptional problem solving abilities will be critical for success, as will be a focus on quality.
*Research Triangle Park (RTP) is centrally located from Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill and is consistently rated one of the best places to live in the U.S., with great restaurants, an active tech and open-source community, cultural amenities from the 3 major research universities in the area, and an affordable quality of life.in the area, and an affordable quality of life.
· Collaborate with a team of data scientists, statisticians, computer scientists, and subject matter experts to solve problems using data science approaches, techniques, and methods.
· Participate as an active member of a data science pipeline, to design and implement web-based prototypes and tools that convey analytic findings from projects that involve machine learning, text analysis, social network analysis, and other statistical analysis methods.
· Design and implement components of web-based analysis platforms, including interfacing with a variety of different types of databases and APIs.
· Assist in gathering client requirements to help frame projects and design solutions based on client needs and problems to be solved.
· Teach some internal Python classes, help us clean up code, help us establish best practices, etc. – both in the context of project and on innovation projects.
· Participate in professional development and scientific stature efforts.
Bachelor’s degree with at least 3 years of programing experience and at least 1 year of full time experience in Python and Django development skills.
· Strong oral, written communication, and presentations skills as evidenced by prior experience teaching, giving presentations, etc.
In addition to the qualifications, serious candidates will possess a number of the desired qualifications and attributes:
· Master’s degree
· Prior experience as responsible person for a production web application or API
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and should not require now, or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.
Level of experience (years):
Mid Career (2+ years of experience)
About RTI International
Nonprofit research institute