The Idiap Research Institute in partnership with well known Swiss enterprises invites applications for post-doctoral positions in automatic speech recognition (ASR) and natural language processing / understanding (NLP / NLU).
The positions are funded by the Innosuisse framework and by the enterprise itself, enabling a collaboration between Idiap and an innovative product company.
The successful candidates will work with Dr. Petr Motlicek, Dr. Philip Garner or Dr. James Henderson, and with the wider Speech and Audio Processing and Natural Language Processing groups, engaged in world-class research in speech and language processing. Exceptionally qualified candidates can also be considered for a longer-term Research Associate position.
Idiap will address new emerging challenges related to fast customisation of ASR and NLU technologies.
We envisage the following related research threads:
1. Domain adaptation of the ASR and NLU models towards towards data provided by the enterprise partners.
2. Automatic vocabulary extension to improve detection accuracies of rare, but highly informative keywords.
3. Development and adaptation of NLU technology optimized for the processing of speech-to-text input and the exploitation of joint learning of NLU and ASR.
4. End-to-end approaches to ASR and NLP.
The successful candidates will work at Idiap in Martigny, but in close collaboration with the partners’ R&D teams based in Switzerland. The projects are a combination of applied science and academic research expected to yield both reference designs and academic publications.
Idiap Research Institute
Candidates should have either or both of:
1. A strong background in engineering, mathematics or a related discipline, along with the associated familiarity with modern distributed programming environments and languages such as C++, Python and Perl.
2. An exceptional academic record and a clear aptitude for creative (and independent) research in a related discipline.
In either case, familiarity with speech processing tools (e.g., Kaldi), natural language processing tools, or deep learning toolkits (e.g., pyTorch, tensorflow) will be a distinct advantage. Although a PhD is normally a prerequisite for a post-doctoral position, candidates without a PhD may be considered in exceptional cases.
How to apply:
Please mention NLP People as a source when applying
About Idiap Research Institute
The Idiap Research Institute is among the most active independent research institutions in information technology.
The Idiap Research Institute, based in Martigny (Valais/Switzerland), is a non-profit foundation that conducts basic research and development in the area of multimedia information management. Idiap's activities can be divided into five complementary research themes and ten application areas.
Idiap was founded in 1991 by the Town of Martigny, the State of Valais, EPFL, the University of Geneva and Swisscom. Since 2008, Idiap has reinforced its connection with Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne through a joint development plan and a strategic alliance with the "ETH Domain". Several of Idiap's scientists hold an EPFL academic title and are teaching graduate and undergraduate courses. They also supervise students who pursue their doctoral thesis research at Idiap.
Idiap's budget, which amounts to more than 10 million Swiss francs, is 60% financed by research projects awarded following