We’re looking for a talented Computational Linguist to join our team immediately.
WHO ARE WE?
Lingvist is trying to make language learning 10x faster by using mathematical and statistical methods. We want to change the world by making it possible to learn a new language in 200 hours using our innovative software. We have already achieved remarkable traction against this goal.
The Lingvist prototype was created at CERN by one of our co-founders, employing the machine-learning algorithms that were used to discover the Higgs boson. The leader of Skype’s core technology team then joined as co-founder and CTO to scale it to millions of users.
Lingvist is a fast-growing, flat, meritocratic company. An alumnus of TechStars London, we have raised a seed round of €1m from Skype founder Jaan Tallinn, TechStars, Smartcap, and Inventure and have secured an additional €1.6m of EU funding under the Horizon 2020 scheme.
Join Lingvist and help us bring the smartest way to learn a language to the world!
– Find, choose, and implement computational linguistics tools (dictionaries, lemmatisers, semantic analysers, TTS and ASR engines, automatic translation systems, etc.).
– Conduct frequency-based corpus analysis to produce statistically relevant content for students.
– Prototype and integrate new approaches in natural language processing to improve language learning efficiency.
– Research and identify new NLP technologies, systems, and/or applications that are likely to increase the learning speed.
– Collaborate closely with software engineers, linguists, and product management to ensure functionality is properly designed so that it’s stable, scalable, usable, of high quality and meets business needs.
– Handle current critical tasks and take on additional responsibilities as the company expands.
– MSc or PhD in Computational Linguistics or a related discipline, or equivalent experience.
– 2+ years’ experience with NLP techniques such as corpus analysis, text-mining, language identification, sentiment analysis, named-entity recognition, and lemmatisation.
– Strong programming and data management skills (e.g. in Python, XML, etc.).
– Forward-thinking; being comfortable with research and design, but also demonstrating willingness to support team members in the ongoing maintenance of existing systems.
– Leadership qualities and problem-solving skills for creative solutions.
– Good command of spoken and written English.
– Self-motivation: ability to set your own priorities and follow them.
– Team spirit: willingness to help make Lingvist a great place to work.
– Desire to make the world a better place through technology.
– Lingvist hires company builders and, in this role, you will be asked to be on the lookout for the best talent to bring on board to help us continue to build one of the best companies in the world!
– Responsibility from day one; professional and personal development.
– Opportunity to turn your great ideas into a high-quality, world-changing product.
– Competitive salary.
– Equity package in an early-stage fast-growing company.
– Friendly work environment – we understand the value of flexibility and work–life balance.
– Inspiring team events and lively startup atmosphere.
– Flexible location: in our London, Tallinn or Berlin offices, or remotely (initially).
EXCEPTIONAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE ANY OR SOME OF THE FOLLOWING QUALITIES
– 2+ years of related professional work experience for applicants holding a PhD.
– Experience in hands-on processing, representation and transformation of text data using tools such as ScalaNLP, NLTK, OpenNLP, and Stanford CoreNLP, and lexical databases and resources such as WordNet and Google N-grams.
– 4+ years of experience in text mining, machine learning, information retrieval, and natural language processing (including experience using a platform, e.g. GATE and UIMA).
– Track record of relevant publications in peer-reviewed conferences and journals.
– Proven management experience.
– Knowledge of machine-learning technologies such as SVM, MaxEnt, Neural Networks, Deep Learning, and clustering algorithms.
– Ability to convert research papers of NLP techniques into practical engineering solutions in production.
Lingvist is an online tool that helps to learn languages faster and more effectively with mathematical modelling and statistical analysis.