The Linguistic Project Manager (LPM) at Appen will manage a portfolio of small and medium-sized linguistic projects for established clients, and support the PM team in managing large-scale linguistic projects.
For small projects and established clients, the LPM is responsible for independently managing the entire scope of the project and a virtual team of linguistic consultants efficiently and effectively to meet or exceed project targets while delivering high quality. Project responsibilities include spec development, consultant onboarding and training, quality control, preparation of deliverables and (depending on the project/client) direct client contact. For larger projects, the LPM will work collaboratively with the Content Analytics PM team to manage the linguistic project(s) and to ensure effective and efficient project execution and delivery.
The LPM role is a leadership position with active assistance in process development/definition, improvement and documentation, and peer training and mentoring of others as needed.
• Manage client relationships and project communications
• Assist in onboarding and training a multilingual virtual team of consultants to create, test or annotate linguistic project data in multiple languages
• Oversee the work of consultants, including assignment, scheduling and monitoring. Review the work for timeliness, quality and cost effectiveness
• Ensure effective and efficient project execution and delivery
• Where appropriate, design and implement repeatable processes
• Evaluate toolsets for linguistic annotation and data management and adapt them for specific projects where needed
• Support or drive initiatives for process improvements
• Support new business development strategies and activities
In addition, for large-scale projects or new clients:
• Assist Senior LPM of CA in managing larger projects and consultant teams efficiently and effectively to meet or exceed project target while delivering high quality
• Assist in the creation of training material, guidelines and process documentation as well as tools and infrastructure. Prepare linguistic project data and ensure efficient and secure data management
• Assist in bid development, reviewing timelines, workload and risk assessments
• Solid understanding of theoretical and scientific linguistic concepts and underlying principles; well-versed in linguistic terminology
• Familiarity with a broad range of natural language processing and/or text analytics technologies
• Ability to quickly understand new linguistic technologies and client/project needs
• Analytical thinking and excellent problem-solving skills
• Demonstrated organizational skills with high attention to detail
• Ability to effectively manage client relationships and communication; demonstrated focus on customer service and quality improvement
• Demonstrated ability to create project documentation, training material and guidelines
• Flexible, independent, motivated self-starter who can establish a course of action for self and others and drive initiatives to completion
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an environment characterized by constant change, ambiguous client specifications and data and a fast, deadline-driven culture
• Excellent communication skills including an ability to present information clearly and concisely in writing or verbally
Summary of Experience:
• A minimum of three years of project management experience in a language, linguistics, or international software-related field
• Strong technical skills, savvy in data management and data manipulation. Scripting skills a plus
• At least a BA degree in Linguistics or related field, or equivalent work experience. Advanced degree preferred
Native or near-native proficiency in at least one other language besides English preferred
RequirementsCANDIDATES FROM SEATTLE AREA STRONGLY PREFERRED.
Level of experience (years):
Mid Career (2+ years of experience)
How to apply:
Please mention NLP People as a source when applying
Appen is a language technology solutions and consulting firm, recognized as a global leader in the quality, range and caliber of its expertise. We are focused on helping our clients reach international markets by leveraging our expertise in over 140 languages and dialects. Our clients are among the world’s top internet search engine and voice recognition providers. For more information come see us at http://www.appen.com.
Interested in working with Appen? Join our Talent Network for job alerts in your inbox: http://ow.ly/vP1rc