As the national pioneer on health care payment reform through its successful Alternative Quality Contract (AQC) innovation, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (BCBSMA) continues to lead in further driving the market toward high quality, affordable, health care through the execution of a dynamic and transformative consumer engagement strategy. The key to fully leveraging this opportunity rests with our ability to build our capacity to more efficiently and effectively engage our members across their relationship with BCBSMA and their care providers. In this newly created position, the Consumer Data Scientist works in collaboration with leaders across the organization to design and leverage consumer data and analytics to build a holistic view of BCBSMA consumers to support innovative and disruptive consumer solutions.
The successful candidate has a deep passion for applying a big data mindset and advanced analytic approaches, an eagerness to dig into the data, and is an effective communicator and trusted adviser who has a vision for turning disparate data streams into a cohesive view of our consumers. The Data Scientist will use a variety of advanced analytical approaches and tools to evaluate insights to make predictions about future outcomes, anticipate consumer unmet needs, and support ongoing business strategic decision-making. Critical to success in this position is the ability to effectively evaluate actionable consumer insights and work collaboratively with operation team to develop novel consumer solutions to improve member healthcare outcomes and experience.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
Education and Experience
• A deep understanding of applied statistics and advanced analytics including sampling approaches, predictive modeling and prescriptive analysis, and consumer segmentation analysis
• Demonstrable knowledge of, and practical experience applying, data mining methodologies, natural language processing, and machine learning algorithms (e.g. regression, clustering, neural networks, kernel methods, dimensionality reduction, ensemble methods, decision tree methods).
• Experience in the valuation and definition of new consumer measures, and the translation of business goals into quantitative metrics
• Experience in working with large structured and unstructured data sets;
• Ability to independently design and execute research projects with multiple business stakeholders on firm deadlines
• A team player with strong written and oral communication and presentation delivery skills
• Degree in statistics, econometrics, applied math, or a quantitative behavioral sciences field is required. Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) strongly preferred
• At least 8 years in an applied analytics or quantitative research role
• Experience in applying advanced analytics to inform consumer product or marketing strategy and/or to develop and improve consumer digital services is a plus
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts is an Equal Employment / Affirmative Action Employer. Applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Level of experience (years):
Senior (5+ years of experience)
How to apply:
Please mention NLP People as a source when applying
About Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
At Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts, we work hard to make sure that our nearly three million members have access to the high-quality, affordable health care they expect and deserve. For more than 75 years, our company has focused on making our vision a reality for the individuals, families, and businesses we serve.
We are a community-focused, tax-paying, not-for-profit health plan headquartered in Boston, that is committed to working with others in a spirit of shared responsibility to make quality health care affordable. Consistent with our corporate promise to always put our members first, we are rated among the nation's best health plans for member satisfaction and quality.