Amazon AI is searching for passionate, talented, and inventive researchers currently pursuing a Master’s or Doctoral degrees and looking to launch their careers with an industry leader in Human Language Technology (HLT). Do you have a strong machine learning background and want to help build new speech and language technology? Our mission is to push the boundaries in Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR), Machine Translation (MT), Natural Language Understanding (NLU), Dialogue Management (DM), Text-to-Speech (TTS), and Audio Signal Processing (ASP), in order to provide the best-possible experience for our customers.
As an HLT Scientist, your work will directly impact our customers in the form of products and services that make use of speech and language technology. You would work independently and as a team member, side-by-side with world experts in speech and language, to solve challenging ground-breaking research problems, on production scale data.
We are hiring in all major areas of HLT: ASR, MT, NLP, NLU, TTS, DM, and ASP. Amazon AI has multiple positions available for NLP Researcher Interns in Palo Alto, Seattle, Pittsburgh, and New York.
· Master’s or Ph.D. degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Machine Learning, Computational Linguistics, Math, Statistics or related fields with specialization in speech recognition, natural language processing, and/or machine learning.
· Theory and practice of Design of Experiments and statistical analysis of results.
· An understanding of machine learning, algorithms and computational complexity.
· Skills with Python, C++, Java or other programming language, as well as with R, MATLAB or similar scripting language
· Ability to relate to and solve business problems through machine learning, data mining and statistical algorithms.
· Strong desire to push your ideas into production, overcoming obstacles, in order to benefit Amazon’s customers.
· Familiar with the core undergraduate curriculum of Computer Science.
· Experience in building speech recognition and natural language processing systems
· Algorithm development experience
· Technical fluency; comfort understanding and discussing architectural concepts and algorithms, schedule tradeoffs and new opportunities with technical team members.
· Publications at top-tier peer-reviewed conferences or journals
· Familiar with the techniques and limitations of observational studies.
· Familiar with theory and practice of information retrieval, relevance, machine learning, and data mining.
· Skilled at data visualization and presentation.
· Excellent critical thinking skills, combined with the ability to present your beliefs clearly and compellingly in both verbal and written form.
Internships last 12-20 weeks and start year round. In order to be considered for an internship you need to be enrolled at a university and plan to return for additional school terms prior to graduating. Otherwise, please apply to the HLT Researcher full-time posting if you are graduating within the next year.
Amazon strives to be Earth's most customer-centric company where people can find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online. By giving customers more of what they want - low prices, vast selection, and convenience - Amazon continues to grow and evolve as a world-class e-commerce platform.
Founded by Jeff Bezos, the Amazon.com website started in 1995 as a place to buy books because of the unique customer experience the Web could offer book lovers. Bezos believed that only the Internet could offer customers the convenience of browsing a selection of millions of book titles in a single sitting. During the first 30 days of business, Amazon fulfilled orders for customers in 50 states and 45 countries - all shipped from his Seattle-area garage.
Amazon's evolution from Web site to e-commerce partner to development platform is driven by the spirit of innovation that is part of the company's DNA. The world's brightest technology minds come to Amazon.com to research and develop technology that improv