The National Library of Medicine (NLM), Lister Hill National Center for
Biomedical Communication (LHNCBC) is recruiting for a Staff Scientist 1.
The position is in the Computational Health Research Branch (CHRB), which
is a part of the Intramural Research Program (IRP). NLM is one of 27
Institutes at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), part of the
Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).
NLM IRP is looking for an outstanding candidate with extensive experience
in biomedical natural language processing (NLP) with commitment to the
biomedical informatics research in areas of fostering and applying
discoveries. The responsibilities of this position will include the
· conducting research in the general area of linking electronic
medical data (focusing on NLP of narrative documentation) with
· advancing text mining research, semantic parsing, and machine
· developing NLP methods for precision medicine;
· providing consultation related to informatics applications for
clinical decision support;
· establishing collaborations with external entities and institutions;
· working with and mentoring students and post-doctoral fellows.
NATIONAL LIBRARY OF MEDICINE
The ideal candidate may or may not be a United States citizen and must have
a doctoral degree. We are looking for an individual with:
· a Ph.D. or equivalent in computer science, related disciplines
biomedical, or clinical informatics;
· experience and a track record in natural language processing
research applied to biomedicine documented by peer-reviewed publications;
· demonstrated ability to work closely and productively with other
research teams; and,
· demonstrated ability to initiate and successfully conduct research.
Applicants who have completed part or all their education outside of the
U.S. must have their foreign education evaluated by an accredited
organization to ensure that the foreign education is equivalent to
education received in accredited educational institutions in the United
States. We will only accept the completed foreign education evaluation. For
more information on foreign education verification, visit the National
Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) website
effective date of the appointment.