The Faculty of Science and Leiden Institute for Advanced Computer Science is looking for a PHD candidate in Natural Language Processing / Machine Translation (4-year fully funded position).
This project aims at improving the state of the art in neural modeling of language and translation with a focus on language structure. The successful candidate will be supervised by Dr. Arianna Bisazza and will perform research and development in the following topics:
– understanding neural language models (e.g. what linguistic phenomena are they able – or unable – to capture?);
– syntax-aware language and translation models;
– neural machine translation for morphologically rich languages.
– MSc in Natural Language Processing, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, or a related discipline;
– experience in machine learning, deep learning, and/or natural language processing;
– strong programming skills;
– ability to work independently, good communication skills, and a passion for research;
– knowledge of neural network frameworks (Torch, PyTorch, Tensorflow, Keras, etc.) is not necessary but highly desirable.
The research will take place at the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) in the Faculty of Science of Leiden University. According to the most recent research visitation, this is one of the foremost computer science departments of the Netherlands.
How to apply:
Please mention NLP People as a source when applying