We are looking for a post-doctoral Experienced Researcher (ER) to carry out research on the implementation & evaluation of a new hybrid computer-aided translation technology proposed in the RGCLs EU funded project EXPERT (http://expert-itn.eu/) & particularly, how these can be applied to its PangeaMT platform. The ER will complement the work of a group of ESRs (Early Stage Researcher – ESR) with humanities background in the implementation & evaluation of the improved prototypes.
Ensure hybrid corpus-based approaches don’t remain in the research community & get tested in real world scenarios with human users.
Conceive a new corpus-based translation framework to result in scientific & technological advances in all corpus-based translation fields & facilitate the work of human translators.
To reach these objectives:
- Produce a comprehensive literature review on corpus-based approaches to translation & hybridisation techniques
- Interaction with ESRs visiting Pangeanic
- Undertake 3 secondments at partner institutions
- Improved Hybrid prototypes
- Final evaluation of prototypes
- Scientific papers: Min of 2 scientific papers published at major conferences &/or relevant journals
- Comparative evaluation showing the improvement brought by EXPERT technologies over existing systems
- Analysis of suitability in industrial application scenarios
- Demonstration of prototypes to the community at Business Showcase
- Contribution to a training course held as part of the project Business Showcase event, & hands-on training for the use of the new tools developed, as well as on general post-editing of automatic translation
We are looking for an open-minded person that loves programming & is focused on quality & performance:
- MA/PhD in IT, computer engineering or mathematics with a strong interest in NLP, willing to help the translation industry
- World-class programming skills
- In-depth knowledge of state-of-the-art algorithms & methods related to data retrieving, data mining & string manipulation
- Knowledge of MT systems, preferably SMT & RBMT
- Knowledge of machine learning & typical NLP languages e.g. Python/ Perl
- Knowledge of translation memory systems, & matching & retrieval algorithms, & segmentation
- Knowledge of Linux-based server environment
- Availability to work in an international environment
- Relationship & communication skills
All suitably qualified candidates irrespective of gender or nationality are welcome to apply as long as the following conditions are fulfilled:
- Applicants should be in possession of a PhD (preferably) or have at least 4 years full-time equivalent research experience. At the time of recruitment, the applicant should have less than 5 years of full-time equivalent research experience (including the duration of the PhD).
- Applicants should have good knowledge of English, both written and oral, in order to be able to submit reports in English.
- Applicants should (preferably) have basic command of the Spanish language.
- Applicants should not have resided or performed their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3-year period immediately prior to the start date. Candidates of Spanish nationality should not have resided or performed their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 5-year period immediately prior to the start date. The fellowship is open and available now, and the position can be filled anytime from today.
- Experienced researcher or 4-10 yrs (Post-Doc)
Annual salary: 57,154 Euros (Marie Curie rates will apply, deducting SS contributions).
Monthly mobility allowance: 683.90 Euros for ER without a family, or 977 Euros for ER with a family (Marie Curie rates will apply, deducting SS contributions).
About Pangeanic Human Translation & Machine Translation Technologies
Pangeanic is a Human Translation Company and Machine Translation software developer offering human communication solutions to companies requiring fast and professional language results. We make full use of state-of-the-art computer applications to automate and accelerate language translation with a commitment to open-source solutions. We train Statistical Machine Translation engines and customize them to your company’s terminology and expressions. We make them fit in your current system (CAT tool, website, etc.) so you do not need to purchase additional software. PangeaMT is our MT division and has positioned itself as a European leader in the implementation of independent, open source statistical translation automation solutions as reported officially in EuroMatrix with a record of customized developments, as plug-ins to existing workflows or as stand-alone developments for a growing number of global companies. Products: Translation technologies, Localization, Statistical and Hybrid MT, SaaS model