At the Faculty of Information and Communication Sciences at the Technical University of Cologne, Institute for Information Science at the Südstadt Campus, we are currently looking for a research assistant in the PhD project “The influence of search engines on political opinion” (29.8725 hours per week) for a limited period of 3.5 years. A doctorate with a cooperating university is planned.
You will be responsible for independent research and development in the ESUPOL project. Together with the political scientists at the University of Cologne, you will explore the influence of search engines on political opinion-forming, e. g. by examining search behavior and the influence of search suggestions on users. They are responsible for the collection, processing and analysis of web data and carry out laboratory and online experiments. In addition, you will teach within a maximum of 3 SWS. As part of your research work, you will be involved in the information science research of Prof. Schaer’s research group at the Cologne University of Technology (TH Köln) and cooperate closely with a doctoral partner from Prof. Proksch’s research group (University of Cologne). In addition, you will participate in the activities of the NRW Research Training Group “Digital Society”.
Technical University of Cologne
– You have successfully completed a Master’s degree in computer science, information sciences or a comparable subject.
– You have proven experience in software development, e. g. with Java or Python.
– Ideally, you have knowledge of text mining, topic modelling or statistical text classifications.
– You have preferably experience working with test persons, e. g. in usability laboratories.
– You have an independent and analytical working style.
– You enjoy working in a team and are interested in applied information science research.
– You are proficient in English at a very good level.