NewsWhip is looking for a Machine Learning Java Engineer to join our Dublin city-centre based team. As part of our Machine Intelligence team, you’ll work on developing new algorithms and approaches that will harness our technology and surface the most relevant stories and events to our clients every day.
NewsWhip’s ambition is to be the defining technology and brand for showing what stories and events matter each day, in every language and category of content.
- Our technology mines signals from social networks that reveal the stories the world cares about in real time.
- We deal with data gathered from millions of stories produced each day.
- We employ text mining, NLP, IR, and machine learning algorithms to bring a new layer of intelligence to NewsWhip’s platform.
- Our R&D efforts deal with information extraction, text categorization, user profiling and personalisation, deep learning, linked data, as well as language semantics and statistical models.
- In our technology stack we are using both standardized libraries and those from the current state-of-the-art research. We are constantly striving to make the the system more intelligent so our customers are always ahead of the world’s important events.
The NewsWhip Product Team
The experience you’ll get building world class technology with a rapidly growing startup is second to none. We think deeply about our business and industry and make dozens of decisions on design, priorities, sales, and marketing every day. Our customers are cutting edge media brands including the BBC, BuzzFeed, The Guardian, CNN and hundreds of others.
You’ll be coding and building, and also have input on decisions on how our platform operates, what we can do, and how we can push out the limits of what NewsWhip’s technology is capable of. In turn, you’ll be helping media companies old and new adapt to the realities of digital distribution.
You will be part of our Machine Intelligence team and work with Bojan, our machine learning researcher and university professor, and also you will work closely with our Engineering team. You will be given freedom to implement your own solutions and see the fruit of your labour. Results of your work will span on all sections of our platform.
We believe in maintaining a friendly work environment, a healthy work-life balance, and compensating our employees fairly for their input. You’ll be part of a team that believes in mutual support and education, and for a company where a work week isn’t just the gap between weekends, but an opportunity to do work that is impactful and innovative.
We also love eating and socialising together and enjoy a delicious lunch out together on Fridays, annual and seasonal company and team retreats, periodic visits to our sales and marketing team in New York, healthy and unhealthy snacks and other perks.
- BA/BS in Computer Science or similar course
- MA or PhD with machine learning/text mining/NLP focus
- Excellent Java skills
- Strong mathematical skills and knowledge of statistical methods
- Proficiency in scripting with Python or R
- Strong & demonstrable problem-solving ability
- Comfortable with self-management and on-the-job learning
- Text categorization and Topic modeling
- Performance prediction, Time series forecasting, Anomaly detection
- Recommender systems and User profiling
- Information extraction – Named Entity Recognition and Keyphrases extraction
- Neural networks and Deep learning architectures
- Experience in SQL and NoSQL database
We will offer a salary which is competitive with what you’d earn working at a large firm, and you will be eligible for the NewsWhip Employee Stock Option Plan, giving you a slice of the upside when our global domination plan finally pays off. Details available on application.
How do I apply?
Please send a resume and one-page cover letter to our Head of Machine Intelligence, Bojan
All applications will be treated with strict confidentiality.
Thanks very much for reading – and if this job isn’t for you, we’d be grateful if you’d pass it on to someone you know who fits the bill!
About NewsWhip Media Ltd
How do you find the events, people and stories that are changing the world right now?
NewsWhip answers the question by monitoring what the world is engaging with - specifically, the world of 2 billion social network users.
Through indicators like tweets, shares and comments, people signal what stories are engaging them every minute. NewsWhip’s technology tracks all of this activity for millions of stories to identify those getting the most discussion online.
Our content discovery platform, Spike, is used by editors, PR professionals, journalists, and companies to find the most relevant stories for their audience each day. Using Spike, they detect the articles, videos, Facebook posts and other content that matter to people in real time, and can predict what will matter in a few hours or days time.
Research shows that Spike accurately predicts over 79% of viral stories gathered in the first hour of publication.
Our clients are leaders in their fields: the trends team at The Huffington Post, editors at the BBC and BuzzFeed, writers at Think Progress, social media editors at ABC and NBC, PR consultants at Resource and Edelman, and marketing experts at Nielsen, Trancos, Conduit and Ignite Media. Spike is also used by many freelancers and small PR firms, thanks to its ease of use and competitive pricing.