Lancaster University is creating a world-class interdisciplinary team of researchers focused on solving contemporary data-science challenges in areas as diverse as health, the environment and society. We are seeking to hire a new Lecturer (equivalent to Assistant Professor) in Data Science within the Data Science group of the School of Computing and Communications to further strengthen this team. The successful applicant will collaborate with colleagues both within the School and within Lancaster?s rapidly expanding Data Science Institute. Data Science is an area of major strategic investment by the University and we aim to set the global standard for a truly interdisciplinary approach to contemporary data-driven research challenges.
Applicants should be computer scientists with an interest and track record in any aspect of data science. Indicative areas of interest include but are not limited to: techniques for extracting knowledge from data; AI and machine learning for large or complex data sets; data processing, visualisation and integration from heterogeneous sources (text, images, signals, video, social, bio, economical, etc.); human-data interaction; data privacy, provenance and trust; system support for processing, storage and retrieval of data; robotics and autonomous systems. Successful candidates will be encouraged to collaborate with colleagues to tackle research problems of national and global significance. In addition to research, the successful candidate will be expected to engage with students at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, including teaching on our highly successful MSc in Data Science.
About Lancaster University
Lancaster is a collegiate university with a world-class reputation as a centre for excellence in teaching, scholarship and research. Ranked in the top 1% in the world, Lancaster continues to sustain its reputation for teaching and research excellence both nationally and internationally.
* Lancaster is the No.1 university in the North West of England, and is ranked in the UK Top 10
* Lancaster is in the top band of UK Universities with a high proportion of its research rated as ‘world leading’ in the latest Research Assessment Exercise, published in 2008. Overall, 92% of research at Lancaster is recognised as being of an international standard and all units of assessment included world leading research.
* Thirteen departments are in the Top 20 of UK institutions for their individual disciplines. This equates to 73% of staff.
* We have over 12,000 students across one of the safest campuses in the UK.
* More than £400m has been invested into the campus over the last decade.