Koç University, Istanbul, invites applicants for a position as a post-doctoral researcher in natural language processing, information extraction and machine learning. The successful candidate will work in a European Research Council (ERC)-funded project, in which a multilingual protest events database (English, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, Chinese) will be created using online newspaper archives.
ERC is the most prestigious, competitive and generous research fund in Europe, which grants 1.5 million Euros to frontier research that would make groundbreaking contributions. This project is the first sociology ERC project in Turkey. The successful candidate will work together with Dr. Erdem Yörük on his ERC-funded project that investigates the political causes of welfare state development in emerging market economies (please see emw.ku.edu.tr for details). The candidate will also be supervised by and collaborate with Dr. Deniz Yuret from Koç University Computer Science Department (http://www.denizyuret.com/). The position will not have any teaching responsibilities. Candidates (i) who have a PhD in computational linguistics, computer science or a related field/topic (ii) who have extensive knowledge and experience in natural language processing, machine learning, information extraction, and (iii) who are interested in social science applications of these methods are encouraged to apply.
The work package of the project in which the successful candidate will be working has two components: (i) classification of protest events-related news reports in online archives, (ii) extraction of various explicit and implicit protest event characteristics such as participants, organizers, place, ideology, ethnicity, race, religion, class.
The successful candidate is expected to:
· Have extensive knowledge and experience in Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, information extraction, event extraction, entity tagging, coreference and anaphora resolution, multilingual language processing, dataset construction,
· Keen on following and applying recent advances about the project,
· Improving state-of-art and publishing about it at top conferences,
· Being proactive in improving the recent collaborations and establishing new collaborations with leading labs in order to achieve goal of the project,
· Have high level of programming and technical skills,
· Have completed the PhD degree by the start date.
Initial duration of the position is a full year (subject to renewal). This is a full-time position with a competitive salary as well as additional benefits such as private health insurance, meal and housing. Funding for conferences is available depending on relevance of the conference to the project.