Educational Testing Service (ETS), with headquarters in Princeton, NJ, is the world’s premier educational measurement institution and a leader in educational research. As an innovator in developing achievement and occupational tests for clients in business, education, and government, we are determined to advance educational excellence for the communities we serve.
Our Research & Development division currently has an opening for a research scientist in the NLP & Speech research group. The projects in this research group focus on the application of NLP, speech, dialog, and multimodal processing algorithms in automated scoring capabilities for assessment and learning tasks involving constructed responses (such as essays and spoken responses). In addition to its signature automated scoring systems for text and speech assessments, the group is actively pursuing technology innovation in education and learning spaces by performing foundational research, prototyping next-generation capabilities, and collaborating with academic and industry partners.
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of a world-renowned research and development team and have a significant impact on existing and next-generation NLP, speech, dialog, and multimodal systems and their use in educational applications.
- Conceptualizing, proposing, obtaining funding for, and directing small projects in the area of deep learning for NLP applications and assisting in moderate-to-major research projects. Projects may include foundational research projects, development projects that use scientific principles and/or previous research and development projects that aim to create new products or product prototypes.
- Assisting in generating or contributing to new knowledge or capability in the field of deep learning for NLP and applying that new knowledge and capability to existing and/or new ETS products and services. Some NLP areas that are relevant at ETS include (but are not limited to) grammatical error detection, paraphrase detection, semantics, discourse, argumentation, figurative language, generation, text classification and inference.
- Documenting and disseminating results of research and/or development projects through publication and presentation at ACL, AI and educational conferences and journals.
- Becoming a member and regular presenter at the annual meetings of one or more organizations substantively related to the work of ETS (e.g. ACL, AAAI, NCME, AERA).
- Participating in setting substantive research and development goals and priorities.
- Developing proposals and budgets for small projects and/or assisting in development for moderate-to-major ones.
- Assisting more senior scientific staff in consulting on testing program, R&D management, or other ETS management concerns.
- Managing small projects, and/or assisting in the management of moderate-to-major ones.
- PhD. in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Natural Language Processing, Linguistics, or a similar area with major education in NLP.
- One year of independent substantive research experience in NLP is required. Experience can be gained through doctoral studies.
- Strong knowledge of, and practical experience with deep learning paradigms and toolkits (e.g., TensorFlow, pytorch, keras).
- Practical expertise with NLP, experience with machine learning toolkits (e.g., Weka, scikit-learn), and fluency in at least one major programming language (e.g. python, Java) .
- Contribution to research communities, a strong publication record and experience in system building and prototyping is preferred.
We offer a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, possible relocation assistance and excellent opportunities for professional and personal growth. For a full list of position responsibilities and to apply please visit the following link: Associate Research Scientist, NLP
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of Women and Minorities.
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE is a Drug-free workplace.