The Data Science Institute of Columbia University’s mission involves advancing the state of the art in data science; transforming all fields, professions, and sectors through the application of data science, while ensuring the responsible use of data for the benefit of society.
We are looking for a research programmer to serve as a system engineer on a large research project involving search and summarization over multilingual text and speech documents. Columbia University is the lead organization and there are four other universities on the team. The candidate will be responsible for maintaining and modifying the system architecture, developing new system components as required, creating and maintaining web resources in the languages we are required to work in building, overseeing evaluation of the system, and managing a group of GPU machines for the group. MS preferred. The following experience and skills are preferred for the successful candidate:
- Experience managing large software projects.
- Strong Java, C++, Python and Perl programming skills and a close familiarity with core and 3rd party libraries.
- Familiarity with software engineering tools such as github, Docker and one-click build and test.
- Knowledge of deep learning and GPU machines preferable.
- Skill with processing, analysis and storage of big data.
- Experience with Linux system administration.
- Knowledge about Human Language Technologies (NLP, IR, ASR)
- Experience with Network Analysis preferable.
- Good at switching between tasks and assisting project members.
- Skilled at interacting with internal and external partners.
- Devoted user of industry best practices and test-driven development.
Minimum Qualifications for Position Type:
- Staff Associate: Bachelor’s degree required; plus 4 years related experience;
- Senior Staff Associate: Bachelor’s degree required; plus 8 years related experience;
- Associate Research Scientist: Doctoral degree required; plus 2-3 years of postdoctoral research experience
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer –Race/Gender/Disability/Veteran.
About Data Science Institute, Columbia University
The Data Science Institute of Columbia University's mission involves advancing the state of the art in data science; transforming all fields, professions, and sectors through the application of data science, while ensruing the responsible use of data for the benefit of society.